The Countess of Wessex to visit Agrifest South West
Her Royal Highness The Countess of Wessex will visit Agrifest South West at Westpoint, Exeter on Wednesday, November 8.
The Countess is the President of the Devon County Agricultural Association (DCAA) which is supporting the event that showcases high quality beef and sheep farming in the South West.
Vicky Smith, Secretary of Agrifest South West, said she was ‘delighted and honoured’ that The Countess would attend their eighth show:
“I look forward to demonstrating the work of beef and sheep producers in the South West to The Countess of Wessex and for HRH to have the opportunity to see the role of The National Beef Association first hand," she said.
The show, organised by the National Beef Association South West, includes livestock classes, steak and burger awards, seminars and farm safety demonstrations.
This year’s highlights are new prime lamb classes, the support of The Royal Smithfield Club which promotes livestock breeding, more classes in the pedigree calf show and charity auctions.
Added Vicky Smith: “I am delighted by the generosity of my fellow stock men and women and the companies who have so generously donated sheep, services and items for our charity auctions and raffles. I am looking forward to showing The Countess the pink sheep for Cancer Research!”
The Countess is a keen supporter of British agriculture and is 10-months into her one-year term as President of the DCAA, which organises the Devon County Show.
Photo cap: Her Royal Highness The Countess of Wessex congratulating Michael Alford of Foxhill Farm, near Cullompton, whose two year old in-calf Limousin heifer, Corranhill Krystal, took the 2017 interbreed championship for beef cattle at the Devon County Show.
For further information contact: Anne Ashford, Devon County Show PR: 01823 490965/07971 275840 [email protected]
NOTES FOR EDITORS:
To apply for a press pass to Agrifest South West, please email Anne Ashford [email protected] with details:
Name of the journalist/photographer who wishes to attend
Number of passes required
Apply by Monday, November 6 - press passes will be available to collect on the day from the DCAA offices at Westpoint.
- Agrifest South West is organised by the National Beef Association South West
- The 2017 event is the eighth and the fifth to be held at Westpoint, the home of the Devon County Show
- The National Beef Association South West represents the region’s beef producers; stages a dedicated event showcasing the very best of beef breeding and production in the region; lobbies and raises the profile of major issues that impact on beef production; campaigns for the eradication of TB; and encourages new and younger entrants into beef production
- In 2014 West Country Beef and Lamb was awarded PGI status which allows certified producers, processors and suppliers to benefit from this prestigious marque
- Devon County Agricultural Association (DCAA) has played a leading role in the development of agriculture and the rural economy in Devon since its formation in 1872
- The DCAA’s flagship event is the Devon County Show – May 17-19, 2018
- Also, it supports Farm Wise Devon (connecting children to the sources of their food) and the specialist one-day show, Agrifest South West.
- The DCAA runs a number of annual awards and bursaries.