Devon County Show celebrates farming’s unsung heroes
The Devon County Agricultural Association (DCAA) is proud to announce the launch of its Long Service Awards which recognise those who spend their working lives in rural Devon.
Employers are invited to nominate any employee or contractor who has completed at least 30 years’ service in agriculture, horticulture or forestry in the county.
DCAA Chief Executive, Richard Maunder, urged farmers, landowners and contractors in Devon with long-serving employees to put them forward for an award.
“Long serving farm workers are the unsung heroes of farming in Devon, and I am delighted that we are able to celebrate their contribution each year in what is always one of the highlights of the Devon County Show,” he said.
“We know from long experience how much these awards mean to those who receive them. It’s almost like getting a ‘lifetime achievement’ award at the Baftas. So we really do hope that every farmer in Devon who has an employee who qualifies for the awards will put their name forward.”
Successful recipients will qualify for a certificate and glass tankard and there are cash prizes of £80, £50 and £30 respectively for the three longest serving workers. Recipients of a certificate or trophy from a previous show are not eligible for another certificate or trophy, but may qualify for a cash award, provided they have not previously received one.
The closing date for applications is March 12, 2018, which is also the date against which length of service will be judged for the purposes of the awards. Application forms are available via the Devon County Show website: www.devoncountyshow.co.uk
Photo cap: One of the winners of the 2017 Long Service Awards, Tina Stanbury of MC Kelly Ltd, received her certificate from HRH The Countess of Wessex, 2017 Show President.
For further information:
Anne Ashford, PR & Marketing: 01823 490965/07971 275840
Notes to editors:
- The Devon County is one of the South West's most iconic and enduring annual events attracting up to 95,000 people.
- The 2018 Show is the 123rd – the first was held in 1872
- The Show is an impressive rural show window showcasing award-winning livestock, the finest food and drink and rural living at its most vibrant
- The County Show is the flagship event of the Devon County Agricultural Association (DCAA), which has played a leading role in the development of agriculture, education and the rural economy in Devon since its formation in 1872.
- The Show Secretary is Ollie Allen.
- The 2018 Devon County Show will be held on May 17, 18 and 19.